[scribus] Introducing: Scribus Templates

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Sat May 19 11:45:09 UTC 2018

Dear Norbert,

thank you for more feedback and for your transparency. Again, your
initiative is very good and all your reasoning makes sense to me.

Re your proposals for attribution: "What do you think?" I think there is
a healthy portion of common sense and you are listing good concepts.
Seems that many graphic designers are hungry and need exposure (judging
from certain questions on http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/)

So attribution is a fine thing, where there is space to place it. I
guess that more than 80% of our output has space or even a full page to
carry attributions and thank-you-notes. And what you propose for
home-production also sounds good.

When we broadcast our proverbs for example, by WhatsApp to a growing
list of subscribers, we learnt that we can put our CC license into the
jpeg-meta data as EXIF and IPTC. All our proverbs are decorated and
layouted in Scribus. They probably never get printed for real and most
of our illustrations for that series comes from Openclipart (so no need
for attribution). Those proverbs do not need your templates, but just to
show you that we like the concept of CC and apply it wherever the
project and sources allow us.

All the best for your project. Just write some helpful guidelines. Those
who want to steal CC stuff will do it anyway and print it in the second
basement somewhere in North Korea or wherever. But the good people, who
just print some party-invitations will learn about the issues and can
respect the providers more.

And still there might be contributors who would even opt for "public
domain", so just consider offering that option. Or run it as a test and
see whether it is worth your trouble.

good weekend,

Martin

--