[scribus] ?==?utf-8?q? A question about hyphenation

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jun 14 19:57:43 UTC 2018

On 06/14/2018 02:57 PM, Ralf Mattes wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 19:27 CEST, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> schrieb:
>

>> Perhaps in File > Preferences > Hyphenator you have Hyphenation
>> Suggestions checked? If so, uncheck that. For it to apply to an existing
>> document, you may need to go to File > Document Settings > Hyphenator.
>
> I tried both settings, but deselecting 'Hyphenation Suggestions' doesn't change anything
> (did that in both the prefecences and the document settings).

Ok, I think I have this figured out.
If you create a document with Hyphenator Suggestions checked, then you
will continue to get the suggestions even if you uncheck Suggestions in
Preferences or Document Setup.

BUT, there is a solution:

Save the document. Close Scribus (with the Suggestions unchecked), then
start Scribus again, and open your document. Now you should see this
suggestion behavior gone.

I think what this means is that the hyphenation suggestions is
fortunately not a feature of the document, but a state that Scribus is
in when it starts.

What this also means is that if Scribus started with Suggestions
unchecked, it won't matter if you check it either in Preferences or
Document Setup, until you stop and restart Scribus again, or start a new
document, and will apply only to that new document.

I suppose it's a bug, although at least one can work with this.

Greg