[scribus] Scribus for phone books?

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Wed Jul 25 21:55:35 UTC 2018

Am 25.07.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Peter Nermander:
>> my experience is, that as soon as you want to do more fancy things
>> (often as simple as adding ads at random places) it's worth to go for
>> scribus...
>>
> Even MS Word has support for wrapping text around text frames. No problem
> inserting a text frame or image with an ad and have the text automatically
> flow around it.
>
> One of the powers with Word is that it is excellent at on the fly reflowing
> of content.
>
> /Peter
That's news to me, Peter. From my own experience, LibreOffice's Writer
is much better here, while Word still tends to mess up everything at
random situations. This is especially true for long texts. For the
everage secretary's letter of, say, three pages, Word is good. But it is
still definitely deprecated to be used for students' works, and there is
good reason for it. So I wouldn't dare to emphasize it for a phonebook.

I would even consider Writer the better tool for this task if you invent
a decent set of paragraph styles for it. Scribus might fail in case of
long texts due to its long operating times for longer concatenated text
frames.

Rolf