[scribus] ?==?utf-8?q? Small Caps in Scribus

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Mon Jul 9 10:29:10 UTC 2018

Am Montag, 09. Juli 2018 01:52 CEST, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> schrieb:

> > I think he's obviously talking about real small caps, since these
> > choices are only available (in Font Features sub tab of Text Properties)
> > for fonts with real small caps.

Yes, I was talking about fonts with "true" caps.

> I should have added they're also available in Character Style settings,
> as Ralf suggests, in the Font Features tab. There you can also set the
> position of the small caps.

Yes, and that dialog is highly missleading. The font properties dialog does offer font
small caps features as a group of radio buttons (even showing the OpenType feature name
in the small help text) while the style manager shows them as a drop-down menu (really
bad UI choice ...). But what's even more confusing: the style manager has _two_ places that
deal with small caps: there is a 'SmallCaps' button on the 'Properties' tab and there is a drop
down on the 'Font Features' tab. No, I would naively assume that the first would control whether
text with that  style is typeset in small caps while the later (the menu) would control _how_ those
tabs are typeset. But, alas, that's not the case. The button results in all text set in small caps, but
using the (ugly) downscaling of caps, while the menu acts on the whole text as well, but optionally using
the OpenType features smcp or c2sc. I think this is configusing and probably not what's intended (hence my
cc to the developer list).
What's missing is a way to configure that Scribus uses a font feature (smcp) whenever text in that style
is typeset as small caps.

 Cheers, RalfD