[scribus] Drop Shadows

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Feb 25 05:28:36 UTC 2018

> Gesendet: Samstag, 24. Februar 2018 um 21:23 Uhr
> Von: Colin <colin at madwolf.co.uk>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: [scribus] Drop Shadows
>
> > > I wonder if it's possible to export a pdf from Scribus, import in in
> > > Inkscape, add the drop shadow and then reimport the pdf in Scribus. I
> > > might try it the next days.
> > >

> > Before 1.5.x, I used to use Gimp if I wanted soft drop shadows. Getting
> > 1.5.3 is by far a better answer.
> >
> > Greg
>

> Thanks for all the help.
>
> 1.5.3 is amazing - a huge improvement, drop shadows now a breeze.  My main task now is to transcribe a whole chapter of a training manual with loads of photographs etc - so I will keep you posted on how I feel about the whole experience.  Eventually the manual will be, maybe 3 volumes of over 150 pages each, so a large project.
>
> What I like:  the intuitive interface and the similarity (only slight admittedly) to InDesign and most DTP programs.  I love how easy it is to change text WITHOUT having to select the tex in the box, just selecting the box does it - so easy.  Creating new colours I also easy.
>
> What I hate:  when adjusting Drop shadows, you have a tick box - it takes two clicks of the mouse to set it - why ?  Surely one is enough.  I can’t see how to easily centre an image within a frame or to auto size it to fit the frame.  Is there an arrange palette ?  To arrange objects (image or text frames) to be centred together either horizontally or vertically or left or right ??  Also when I drag to select a block of text, everything slows down and keeps moving after I have released the mouse - is this normal ?
>
> Keep this up and you will replace Adobe :-)). As I said, I am currently reproducing a training manual which I have got so far in Indesign, but having upgraded to Sierra, it now no longer works.  Working from a PDF, I am starting afresh in Scribus, laboriously re-creating a complicated book with many styles and master pages, so far so good !
>
> Cheers
> Colin

Hi Colin,

You may want to try Scribus 1.5.4svn, which is the precursor to the next 1.5.4 release. You can find more or less regularly updated versions for Windows and Mac OS X under https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-svn/1.5.4.svn/

Compared to 1.5.3, 1.5.4svn has already made a lot of progress, and, most importantly, many bugs have been fixed.

I agree, though, that the drop shadow dialogue is broken, unreliable and in need of fixing. Personally, I haven't even found a way to reproduce the many issues reliably. Moreover, the current UI version of this PP tab was introduced by Franz for testing purposes only, as a potential alternative to the current UI design. We definitely need to remove this inconsistency in the upcoming UI overhaul via Indigo.

Christoph