[scribus] Drop Shadows

Colin colin at madwolf.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 20:23:13 UTC 2018

> > I wonder if it's possible to export a pdf from Scribus, import in in
> > Inkscape, add the drop shadow and then reimport the pdf in Scribus. I
> > might try it the next days.
> >

> Before 1.5.x, I used to use Gimp if I wanted soft drop shadows. Getting
> 1.5.3 is by far a better answer.
>
> Greg

Thanks for all the help.

1.5.3 is amazing - a huge improvement, drop shadows now a breeze.  My main task now is to transcribe a whole chapter of a training manual with loads of photographs etc - so I will keep you posted on how I feel about the whole experience.  Eventually the manual will be, maybe 3 volumes of over 150 pages each, so a large project.

What I like:  the intuitive interface and the similarity (only slight admittedly) to InDesign and most DTP programs.  I love how easy it is to change text WITHOUT having to select the tex in the box, just selecting the box does it - so easy.  Creating new colours I also easy.

What I hate:  when adjusting Drop shadows, you have a tick box - it takes two clicks of the mouse to set it - why ?  Surely one is enough.  I can’t see how to easily centre an image within a frame or to auto size it to fit the frame.  Is there an arrange palette ?  To arrange objects (image or text frames) to be centred together either horizontally or vertically or left or right ??  Also when I drag to select a block of text, everything slows down and keeps moving after I have released the mouse - is this normal ?

Keep this up and you will replace Adobe :-)). As I said, I am currently reproducing a training manual which I have got so far in Indesign, but having upgraded to Sierra, it now no longer works.  Working from a PDF, I am starting afresh in Scribus, laboriously re-creating a complicated book with many styles and master pages, so far so good !

Cheers
Colin