[scribus] First Line Offset

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Feb 6 15:51:44 UTC 2018

On 02/06/2018 10:22 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi greg
>
>>> © 2018 by Gregory Pittman
>>
>> What exactlys does your copyright mean here?
>
> greg said that it means nothing...
> his explicit will counts... but...
>
> ...but to me the (c) means that the script is
> copyrighted and you're not allowed to copy, modify, or distribute it
> without a further explicit agreement from the copyright holder (greg).
>
> of course, if there were no (c) sign, you would have exactly the same
> (absence) of rights: you are not allowed to copy, change, distribute
> anything you find in the internet, except when the author explicitly
> gives you the rights to do anything with it.
>
> so, greg, i would suggest you to add a little world after that (c), one
> that match your will.

I should have left it out, since like I say, it was just for my own
purposes. As you can imagine I have a large number of scripts, and it's
helpful in retrospect to see when I wrote or last edited them, since
that may help understand what Scribus version they were written for.

I think you're assigning too much weight to someone stating '© Gregory
Pittman', since these days there are so many kinds of copyright, from
'all rights reserved' to full liberality. One of the reasons people
sometimes label something as copyrighted is so that someone else can't
claim rights on it.

In the end, in this situation, we're talking about a sequence of freely
available and open Python commands, both inside and outside of Scribus,
so what would one expect to be able to claim rights to?

Greg