[scribus] chain frames, "do not" link them

Owen owen.cook at gmx.com
Fri Dec 14 21:54:27 UTC 2018

> hi
>
> i've opened a ticket for renaming all instance of chaining text frames:
>
> https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15507
>
> currently, both "chain" and "link" are used, with "link" being more
> frequent.
>
> the main goal is to free the concept of "link" for using it with the
> clickable links... which is what most people would probably expect...
>
> does anybody disagree with this?
>
> greg, would you agree to make a patch for it?
>
> in the ticket i've listed all places where i've found "link" to be
> used... excluding the docs.
> can anybody spot other occurrences?
>
> have a wonderful evening
> a.l.e

I must confess to having never been confused with the word "link" when used with text frames.

My 2002 OED is probably not much help as it defines "chain" as a "link" amongst other things. For example, a chain "is a series of links". I think the meaning is defined by context.

One wonders if you could define the chaining of text frames without using the word "link".

However for consistency, maybe it is best to use just one word for the concept of joining text frames.

Owen

Owen