[scribus] Scribus 1.5.3 on Debian with Python 3

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Oct 28 17:42:27 UTC 2017

On 10/28/2017 06:25 AM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 27/10/2017 à 20:42, ZASKE Martin a écrit :
>
>> I have a few non-Scribus Python scripts to transmogrify certain texts
>> that we need to get in and out of certain tools a lot.
>> And I made a special colouring scheme for my preferred power editor, to
>> visually check typography, before(!) we put long texts into Scribus.
>
> I dont see precisely what you mean here.
> Can you elaborate on this : how do you create and use colors ?
>
>> Another reason is that for proper French-style typography, we need
>> glyphs "espace fine insécable" U+202F and "espace insecable" U+00A0 but
>> we have got only very few fonts which carry the alphabet for our African
>> language (Anii) and not all of them carry U+202F, so with our
>> publications we often have to hack it...
>> So for our language we want to follow the French model, but have not
>> made a script yet. We apply the spaces (even borrow from comparable
>> fonts) but then we hand-tweak in Scribus at least the major headings.

I wonder if you have tried to use FontForge to create a narrow
non-breaking space in whatever font you would like.

It looks easy enough to do, after doing some research as to the proper
width. What I have yet to figure out is whether Unicode 202F
automatically indicates it's non-breaking, or whether this is a setting
somewhere in FontForge.

One disappointment was fontmatrix, where I was unable to find which
fonts have U202F and which don't. I did find a webpage:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/202f/fontsupport.htm

and in Scribus you can just insert it (Ctrl+Shift+U, then 202f) and see
what happens.

Greg