[scribus] Scribus 1.5.3 on Debian with Python 3

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Thu Oct 26 15:04:37 UTC 2017

> and for the needs of most people currently using the scripter there is
> not much difference between using 2.7 and 3.4...

For what its worth,

I keep reading that only Python 3 can properly handle Unicode. I do not
know details, but I try using Python 3 as much as possible.

With recent improvements in Scribus for handling more languages, I would
support any development where the scripter (whatever name or version)
can handle content-data (text, photo captions) in all Scribus-supported
languages and scripts, including non-Latin.

We are using scripting not only to create frames or to move objects but
also to tweak typography details like special French spacing in context
of certain punctuation. And our African language needs those too...

We regularly use a personal fork of the great Scribus Generator (mail
merge on overdrive) which can already handle utf-8 for the data being
fed in. The only issues we ever had, was when we had unclean semi-utf-8
files (from MS Access exports).

So please whatever you do, keep in mind that utf-8 for content of
documents is supported. And thanks for keeping up the research and
development.

Martin