[scribus] Scribus 1.5.3 on Debian with Python 3

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Oct 24 14:52:24 UTC 2017

hi jonas

a late reply from my side...

the port to python3 should already be in

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-plugin-scripter

but it's not a huge thing...

what i wonder: does your port run scripts?
in my work i got stuck at getting the signals / slots cross the
boundaries between c++/qt5 and python/pyqt5.
(pyqt4 is using string for passing them around but pyqt5 wants real objects)

a few people have tried to help out and/or audited the scribus scripter
and nobody could find a solution.

since the scripter relies on a few technologies that are very little
documented / used and/or have been abandoned since about 10 years, i've
now tried to dig into a new library: modern, supported, with an active
community: pybind11.

i've been exploring it in my freetime and i like what i could achieve
with it!
(i was probably the first person trying to create a scripter engine with
pybind11... and i did need much support and a patch to the code to get
the code to work!)
i have a repository with all my tries and i'm currently cleaning it up
so that i can share my experience with the scribus and the pybind11
communities.

after the clean up steps, there are three things to be done before
making my efforts public:

- find out all the data structures to be tested in the scripter API, to
be sure that all needs of the scribus scripter are covered (work in
progress: i can already get values and objects to go back and forth
between c++ and python)

- add the scripter to a sample qt5 application (work in progress: the
qt5 demo application can already launch a python3 script showing a pyqt5
dialog and gets back the value entered in the dialog...)

- get the scripts to attach themselves to the navigation and the
keyboard shortcuts (probably without using signals and slots across the
c++/python boundaries.

i like the results i got so far.
it's far from being such a clever solution as the "scripter2" is, but i
hope the final result will be easier to understand and maintain!

as soon as the repository is cleaned up (fix the old cmake files, make
sure all README are correct) i can share the url and help from people
with c++ skills is very welcome!
(and with a bit of luck, i will be cleaning up the repository later this
evening)

have fun
a.l.e