[scribus] Adobe Reader printing with Reduction

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Mon Oct 16 14:47:36 UTC 2017

Le 16/10/2017 à 15:34, Thorsten Rochelmeyer a écrit :
> Should i remember correctly, there was a discussion a loooooong time ago
> that scribus basically puts every single character in its own container
> that can be positioned very precisely. Gives you a good print quality
> for the cost of large file sizes.

I remember very well yes.

> If printing is not the primary purpose of the document, i usually open
> it with some PDF viewer and print it to PDF again, which results in
> significantly smaller file sizes. Maybe the printer does something similar.

When « scribus basically puts every single character in its own container
 > that can be positioned very precisely »
the PDF is a bit like a bag full of little pieces of paper,
each with single character on it and its position in the page.

And there can be several texts overlapping in the final page display...

So i dont see how any PDF viewer can output paragraphs as a whole as usual,
because AFAIK there is no easy way to know which piece of paper to pick
to begin with and to go on after the previous one.

As for me, I could not get any Rimbaud poetry out of the list of its characters,
and I tend to believe the PDFviewer dont neither.

And when the PDFviewer output is lighter than Scribus,
it's because there is some loss of quality in some other file part (eg images).

But maybe there is more data than just the character and its position in the page
writen on each of the little bits of paper in the bag...

JL