[scribus] appimage

Török Árpád torar at freemail.hu
Fri May 5 04:41:43 UTC 2017

I have three different Linux distributions installed on my desktop
computer. Basically I use PCLinuxOS KDE, but I also installed Open SUSE
and now Kubuntu.

When I used to try scribus 1.5.0 (if I remember well) appimag, it worked
fine. Then, after some updates it did not start, that is why I installed
Open SUSE and Kubuntu, as they were told to run scribus 1.5.x smoothly.

With the help of Google and after practicing with scribus.appinage,
finally I worked out a method to run 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 versions from any
distribution I use:

1. I made a Scribus folder in my home directory, where besides the
appimage file I also made an executable file with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

cd ~/Scribus
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libxcb.so.1
./Scribus-1.5.3.svn.21360-x86_64.AppImage # here is the actual appimage
filename I use

2. Even though I have a start entry in the main menu, I have to start
scribus with the above executable. If not, and I run it from the start
menu, or by double clicking on an .sla file, the programme freezes down,
when trying to do any file operation - opening, or saving. It seems,
that it has problem with permissions, because, if run scribus as root),
everything works fine.

I share my practice with a hope, that it would help someone!

Török