[scribus] Using ppas on ubuntu.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jul 31 20:32:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:32:45 -0700
"scrib at wexfordpress.com" <scrib at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>I installed the Scribus ppa on a version of Ubuntu (xubuntu).  Now
>how do I convert  these files  to the actual scribus and scribus-n
>files? Thjis whole ppa business is a mystery to me.

Like everything else, it's trivial once you know how.

If you have successfully installed the ppa then the version of Scribus
that it provides will appear in your Xubuntu repositories - but this is
not automatic. You have to update the repository list before it will
appear. From the command line:

	sudo apt-get update

Or from Synaptic package manager just hit the Reload button at the
top of the window.

If you haven't installed Synaptic then that is something that you
should do right away. It is worlds better than the Ubuntu Software
Center, which is really just a stripped down version of Synaptic. From
the command line:

	sudo apt-get install synaptic

One important reason for installing Synaptic is that once you have the
PPA installed and the package list updated you will have two versions
of Scribus available to install - the one in the regular Ubuntu
repositories and the one provided by your PPA. Synaptic makes it easy
to install the right one - just search on 'Scribus,' which will give
you a list all the versions available. To install it with Synaptic just
right-click on the one you want and then select Mark for Installation.
Then just hit the Apply button at the top of the Synaptic window.

At this point I should repeat something that I posted here shortly
after 1.5.3 became available. My computers have Xubuntu 14.04, but the
people who provide Scribus packages for distros did so only for 16.04
and later, so I couldn't install it the easy way. Since Scribus is open
source it is theoretically possible to install it from the source, but
I tried that once several years ago and it was a nightmare, and in the
end unsuccessful

Then I heard about scribus-1.5.3-linux-x86-64.Appimage. I downloaded it
and discovered that it is the whole thing - all the dependencies and
what-nots that Scribus 1.5.3 needs are included so the file is actually
an executable for Scribus 1.5.3. After downloading it (181 MB) I just
double-clicked on the file, et voilà ! I had Scribus 1.5.3 running
perfectly on my Xubuntu 14.04 computers!

If all that doesn't get you what you want, shout back and I'll try
again. :)