[scribus] designing instructional posters on code/programming -- lots of syntax highlighting

Lars Behrens lars.behrens at kit.edu
Sun Jan 8 00:20:14 UTC 2017

Am 07.01.2017 um 18:20 schrieb Gregory Pittman:

> Thanks to Lars, I was able to slave my way through this last night
> (and slaving it was!), and today made a wiki page outlining the
> process using a Python script as an example:
>
> https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Render_frames_and_the_LaTeX_listings_package

Thanks for your effort in the wiki. I dug through the page and followed
your examples.

I was surprised that you had such problems, because here on Unbuntu
14.04 with Scribus 1.4.2 the only thing that caused a choke was the
copyright symbol in your original example, the comment signs don't cause
any problems here.

There's also no difference in font display here (I declared my tex file
for import into scribus as "\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{extarticle}"
like scribus does internally, but I don't think that this is the real
source for the difference on your side). I can't zoom

So there may be a difference either in Scribus' LaTeX handling between
1.4.2 and 1.5 or in the LaTeX systems on your and my computer.

Or I didn't understand the problem :)

> method is worthwhile. One might even question how much we need render
> frames given the ability to import PDFs as vectors in 1.5.x
> versions.

While I agree that using LaTeX for syntax highlighting in Scribus might
be not the best or most practicable idea for some or even most users, I
don't quite agree with your questioning render frames generally.

I find them extremely helpful when dealing with scientific posters or
scientific text containing formulas generally and when there are "moving
targets" among them which may have to be changed eventually. Not having
to leave Scribus makes the workflow much easier and helps to keep an
overview.

I would really miss render frames.

Cheerz,
Lars