[scribus] designing instructional posters on code/programming -- lots of syntax highlighting

Alec Hill bulk at ahill.io
Thu Jan 5 18:28:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 01/05/2017 11:43 AM, Alec Hill wrote:
> >
> > ## Method B ##
> >
> > Printing to postscript from the web browser changes the coloring (greys
> get
> > turned to black, background color is removed, perhaps other changes) --
> > which I presume is the web browser trying to make the document more
> > "printer friendly".  This is a drawback here, as the Solarized color
> theme
> > looks really good in kate or other editors, but once I import the .ps
> file
> > into scribus the code comments are darker (instead of lighter) than
> > function names.
> >
> The workaround here is in the editing. For me, the gray areas are
> comments, so many might be just deleted if not needed. If they are
> needed, "rubber-band" around the area after Ungrouping down to the
> sentence level, and Group it, then under the Group tab, reduce Opacity
> as needed to the desired level.
> If you need some other color, you have to Ungroup all the way down to
> individual glyphs, after which you can rubber-band around them and
> adjust color in the Color tab (don't Group them because you can't change
> colors in grouped objects).

Oh yes, the grouping --- ungrouping did allow me to get rid of the
background/canvas, and now I see how it could be made to correct for the
changed colors.

> > ## Method D (for Danger) ##
> >
> > Noone's said anything about Tex... is this a scary subject?  It kinda
> > scares me ;^)
> I've used some LaTeX, but not exactly an expert. It looks like you are
> invoking minted incorrectly, and you don't have the pygmentize package
> installed, or perhaps not using minted correctly causes pdflatex to
> think you don't have pygmentize.

Yeah, I guess my question is whether Scribus is capable of invoking Minted
correctly.
But I'll leave this be for now, though I may explore this more in the
future.

'Method A' of copy-paste from browser into Writer and saving as odt works
quite well enough :)

Thanks again!
-Alec