[scribus] Aligning frames

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 07:36:37 UTC 2017

> Gesendet: Montag, 02. Januar 2017 um 23:56 Uhr
> Von: "Ken Springer" <snowshed1 at q.com>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.info
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] Aligning frames
>
> On 1/2/17 2:31 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > On 01/02/2017 04:02 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
> >> Is there an automatic way of aligning frames, I.E. aligning the top
> >> edges of frames that are in a horizontal row for instance?
> >>
> >> Or is the only option to manually put in the y position for each frame?
> >>
> > Check the Align and Distribute dialog, from Windows in the menu. You
> > have a large number of choices, including aligning to a guide.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> Thanks, Greg.  Under Windows is about the last place I would look for
> it.  I was looking in Edit and Properties for something.
>
> Do the developers review where they have placed things in the menus?

Hi Ken,

Yes, they do. If you compare 1.5.x to 1.4.x, you'll see that a lot of re-ordering of menu (and context menu) entries has happened. As regards the "Windows" menu, this one is a legacy from programmes like QuarkXPress or Photoshop. Actually, it's the place where everything that doesn't fit into any other category is being dumped.

It's worth noting, though, that neither Edit nor Properties seem to be the right places to look for alignment. In my book, the Item menu seems more appropriate, especially regarding the unholy growth of the Windows menu in recent 1.5.x iterations.

Maybe we should move Distribute & Align to the Item menu?

What do others think?

Christoph