[scribus] Question from a complete newbie

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Feb 14 02:15:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 00:52:39 +0000
Dave Brzeski & Jilly Paddock <dave at cathaven.co.uk> dijo:

>I picked up a copy of the Scribus 1.3.5 Beginner's Guide by Cedric
>Geary and was a little worried when I read in the preface that Scribus
>was ideal for helping create business card, brochures, newsletters,
>magazines & catalogues, but books aren't mentioned. Is Scribus up to
>the task of laying out paperback books and are there any limitations I
>need to know about going in?

I haven't used the latest versions for book length work, although I
hear that there have been improvements in the speed for long documents.
In the past Scribus became slower and slower the longer the
document became, hence it was not recommended for long jobs.

Having said that, there are tricks to avoid speed problems. The most
obvious is to split the work into smaller files, e.g., make each
chapter a separate file, then export each to PDF and assemble the PDFs
into the final document with PDF tools. But there are other tricks, for
example, when I created a 138-page book I had the main document open
and another smaller document open at the same time. I would do new
pages in the small document and then transfer them page by page to the
main document when they were finished.