[scribus] Problems with depicting images in 'collected for output' documents

Hans Woltjes hw at plexx.eu
Thu Mar 24 13:48:54 UTC 2016

Gregory Pittman <gpittman at ...> writes:

> On 03/24/2016 06:44 AM, Hans Woltjes wrote:
> > Hello Scribus users,
> >
> > The last few days I have trouble with the 'collect for output' function in
> > Scribus.
> > I work on an Apple with OSX 10.9.5 and Scribus 1.4.6 but I have also tried
> > it with a Windows 8 computer and the same problem occurs.
> >
> > What is the issue: `when I click 'collect for output" everything seems to
> > work allright and all the images used in the document are collected into the
> > designated folder. However if a third person opens the .sla file out of that
> > folder all the imageframes are left blank. Not even signaling in the red
> > cross the name of the file that ought to be in there?
> >
> > Do any off you have similar troubles as of lately. And more important can
> > anyone solve this problem for me.
>
> The first thing I would wonder is how it is that a third person is
> opening the file? Do they have permissions set to be able to get to the
> images?
>
> Also, it's important not to move the SLA file, since all references to
> content are relative to the location where the SLA file is.
>
> Greg
>
> ___
> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at ...
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

The third person in this case is a colleague who needs to continue to work
with this file in Scribus, change parts of the text put other pictures in
etc. I send these to them as a kind of template document. Mostly the images
stay the same therefore them being depicted is quite crusial.

About not moving the .sla file I'm quite aware you must not take it out of
the original collect folder, for then the path chnges and images can't be
found. The whole purpose of collecting for output is enabling a third party
to work with your document. This way you can send the original document to
the printers for instance. Sending a PDF to my colleagues is not a remedy in
this case. For they cant alter that.