[scribus] Bullets and numbering

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Mar 2 16:35:33 UTC 2016

hey

>> This video is a bit dated, but shows the process. There might be a
>> nonvideo page on the wiki about this, but I'm not sure.
>
> The video definitely does not apply to 1.4.6 or 1.5.1

the process is the same for 1.4.6.
menus have changed a bit but the features to be used are the same and
you will find them in similar places.

this applies to 1.5.x, too. (even if the menus are even more different)

if you don't see the similarities, i would suggest you to make a few
steps back and go through an introductory tutorial in scribus. most of
all the parts on paragraph formatting.

> The Help File for 1.5.1 says there's automatic bullets, but doesn't
> bother to tell you where to find the settings.

it's in the paragraph effects, iirc...

> One thing I've noticed about a lot of help files...  To access a
> feature, the file will say "Open X and select Y".  The problem is,
> they don't tell you where X is.  :-(  Extremely frustrating for the
> new user.

easily frustrated new users, might first want to go through an
introduction to scribus.

the flossmanuals (en.flossmanuals.net/scribus-2/) is not a bad resource.

some people can jump in the middle and figure out the missing bits (or
where to find them), other need a more structured, step by step approach...

once you got through that, you will know where the style manager or the
properties palette are...

it's a hard task to keep the balance between repeating over and over all
the details and write a readable text (also for people who already know
scribus but need a reference text).

> I'll have to find the wiki and see if it's there.

good luck!

> The devs have put things in the Windows menu that I would never look
> for under that menu heading.  Such as Align and Distribute. You're
> aligning and distributing frames, not windows.

i feel some very bad karma here...
but i agree with you: the menus in scribus are getting crazier and crazier.

in most cases, there is a reason why something is in windows rather than
in edit, but i don't think it makes much sense to start a discussion on it.
most of the entries in windows should be moved out from there.

> Also discovered that closing the program doesn't close the help
> window.  Bad manners there.

yes. no. yes. no... maybe.

there are several requirements for the help window, and the easiest way
to meet most of them, is to run scribus and the help tool as separate
programs.
that's why, once scribus started the help, it cannot close it...

if you know a better way: closing the help when closing scribus is
indeed a good idea!

peace and love
a.l.e