[scribus] Quark .qxd import

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:52:51 UTC 2016

> ciao marco,
>
> > I'm currently using 1.4.6 and I just installed the 1.5.2 on a test VM
> > (both running on OpenSuSE 13.2). In this new version I have seen the
> > import capabilities have been extended, so as pointed out in a
> > previous mail, an import is probably possible if I will be able to
> > export the qxd document as an xtg.
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not own a Mac nor Quark, I have received from a
> > friend a Quark document to be modified and I'm looking for a cheap
> > solution.... This means I will probably have to find someone owning
> > Quark for the conversion. (or download the 3 day test version of Quark
> > for Windows and install it in a Windows VM....)
>
> if you can ask your friend for the xtg files this could be helpful.
>
> than you can go for a multilayer approach:
>
> - you can use pdfimages to get the images out of the pdf
> - you can the pdf with inkscape to extract the vector drawings and save
>   them as svg (or you can use scribus for it too)
> - you can load the pdf pages into scribus and set them as a background
>   for redoing the whole layout
> - you can load the xtg files into the text files to get the text.

Only to insist on what Ale is already mentioning: XPress Tags is for the
text part only of a QuarkXPress document. Thus, the XPress file itself
(.qxp) is not an XPress Tags file. The XPress tag file is a regular .txt
file that contains specific infos. To obtain the XPress tags file, you must
do that from within QuarkXPress and export the text as XPress tags. The
result will be a readable text from any text editor: it contains a header
that describes all the text styles used in the document and then the tagged
document. This can be imported into Scribus which will hopefully know how
to interpret the tags and keep the text formatting.

HTH

Louis