[scribus] Releases for Debian family of Linux.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 21:42:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:52:45 -0500
John Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>On my main computer I use Slackware 14.1 and
>compile from source using the script from luc.
>But my wife uses a 32 bit laptop with Knoppix.
>
>Short of setting up the laptop to compile from
>source is there a way to get a 1.5.0 or later
>version of Scribus for a 32 bit Debian family
>computer as described above?

Most Debian distros ship with a command line utility called 'alien'
that will convert an .rpm package to a .deb, and it works the other way
as well. While I have used it numerous times, and it has always worked
perfectly, it is architecture-specific; that is, if you want a 32-bit
package you have to run alien on a 32-bit system. However, I think
the source package does not have to be the same architecture, but I'm
not so sure about that. If I'm right that would be an easy solution for
you.

There are also tools to produce a .deb or .rpm from source, but they're
too scary for me. But I'm sure a Slacker could figure them out. :)