[scribus] 2 generic questions about Scribus

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Feb 22 07:17:31 UTC 2016

> On 2/21/16 12:06 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:
> >

> >> Gesendet: Samstag, 20. Februar 2016 um 17:33 Uhr
> >> Von: "Ken Springer" <snowshed1 at q.com>
> >> An: scribus at lists.scribus.info
> >> Betreff: [scribus] 2 generic questions about Scribus
> >>
> >> 1.  For those using any of the 1.5 releases, how have you found the
> >> level of bugs/issues/etc. to be compared to the latest stable release?
> >>
> >> 2.  Will Scibus generate a Table of Contents and Index?
> >>
> >> I just finished my first Scribus effort, albeit small.  Planning on
> >> tackling a slightly larger project, and would try the latest and
> >> greatest unless there are more issues cropping up than you've usually
> >> found in the past.
> >>

> > Hi Ken,
> >
> > I'm glad you're asking!
> >
> > As for your first question, I'm convinced that 1.5.1 provides everything that 1.4.x does, except that it's much better and even more stable. For example, PDF, AI and ODT import have been massively improved, as has PDF export. So if you stick to the features available in 1.4.x, you're better off with 1.5.1, the only exception being the use of a small screen, because the Properties Palette and the Style Manager have grown almost exponentially in size and complexity -- a problem that needs to be resolved before the release of 1.6.0.
> >
> > Regarding ToC and Index:
> >
> > - ToC is possible, but it's complicated and simplistic, and Scribus is not prepared for more complex endeavours, at least not yet.
> >
> > - Indexing isn't available. You'd have to do it manually.
>
> Hi, Christoph,
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Then for the 2nd project, I'll remove 1.4.X and take a look at 1.5.1.
> Monitor size not an issue for me, but Scribus does need to do something
> about issues like that.  :-)  I'm using a Dell 24" business monitor,
> 16:10 aspect ratio, Win7.  My iMac is the same size.
>
> Neither ToC or Indexing is necessary, I just wanted to try it out if it
> was available.
>
> I like "testing" (read "playing with") different software programs and
> then telling people what I think about it, so they know they have
> options other than MS Publisher, in this case.  After this next project,
> I think I'll try Pagestream.  I've got Page Plus X6 running, I like it.
>   A friend loves it.  Current version is X8 I believe.  I've also used
> Calamus, from DMG in Germany.  Also DA's Layout, which I think is no
> longer around.

Hi Ken,

Pagestream seems to be dead, unfortunately (no software updates since 2011), but you might be interested in testing VIVA Designer, another interesting alternative to InDesign (http://www.viva.de/en/products/desktop-publishing/vivadesigner-desktop-version).

Once you've tested all of them, please tell us what you would like to see in Scribus.

Christoph