[scribus] Embedding fonts in a PDF file

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:38:36 UTC 2016

> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> From: mh.holmes at verizon.net
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:16:09 -0500
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Embedding fonts in a PDF file

...>
> How do you check to see that the file is created properly?  I don't have
> any way to examine a PDF file to see whether the fonts are embedded.

There are a number of open source utilities that can list the fonts in a PDF.
poppler is available with "brew" and has a pdffonts utility that can list the fonts referenced in a PDF and whether or not they are embedded. http://macappstore.org/poppler/
You can also run the PDF through ghostscript. If ghostscript shows any messages about font files, the document references fonts that are not embedded.
Regards, William Bader, Director of Research and Development at SCS, http://www.newspapersystems.com
$ pdffonts colorcir.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                          Type 1            Standard         no  no  no       8  0
$ pdffonts eulalia-programa.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID

------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
VLEXCA+GillSans-UltraBold            TrueType          WinAnsi          yes yes yes    229  0
VLEXCA+Larsseit-Bold                 Type 1C           Custom           yes yes yes    169  0
VLEXCA+Larsseit-Light                Type 1C           Custom           yes yes yes    164  0
VLEXCA+Larsseit                      Type 1C           Custom           yes yes yes    160  0

$ gs -sDEVICE=nullpage -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH colorcir.pdf
GPL Ghostscript 9.16 (2015-03-30)
Copyright (C) 2015 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Processing pages 1 through 1.
Page 1
Can't find (or can't open) font file /usr/share/ghostscript/9.16/Resource/Font/NimbusRomNo9L-Regu.
Can't find (or can't open) font file NimbusRomNo9L-Regu.
Querying operating system for font files...