[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 95, Issue 10

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Mon Feb 15 16:37:52 UTC 2016

> On 15 Feb 2016, at 17:23, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:
>
> Le 13/02/2016 00:18, Craig Bradney a écrit :
>>> "new [software versions] versions require more powerfull hardware very often."
>>> Not clear enough ?
>> Nope, not clear enough. I think thats mostly rubbish.
> > In some cases, its clearly the truth, but because they can do more, people want more. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with LTS or whatever some platform/software calls their long term release. Its about stability.
> LTS stands for long term release and doesnt refer to any specific platform in my words.
> Stability ? How do you relate stability to hardware requirement ?

I don’t… LTS is about minor feature and bug/security fixes, not major feature enhancements. Hardware is irrelevant. If anything, an LTS release will have issues on future hardware as specifications change. Eg the replacement by older ports like serial/parallel/VGA by the easier, more efficient and more robust USB/lightning/displayport connections.

>>> Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
>>> With a newer OS, many complain how slow and sluggish their computer has become ?
>>> /me thinks of his mother...
>>> They have no choice but to change computer.
>> That’s also pretty false. Windows 10 runs perfectly well on a machine that ran Windows 7. XP ran on a Win 2000 machine just fine. Any of those machines will run Linux. That does not mean that you get the latest capabilities from the software though.
>
> Many people with old computers do experience what i describe here.
> That's for sure.

Sure, but we do not have to spend our time making binaries for OSes that go back a decade or more. Those who make that choice can use the older software that worked at the time, or spend the time recompiling for their hardware. All of our old releases are still available.

>> However that choice is also to freely run some old version of the software.
> > That does not mean we have to support old OSes and old libraries forever.
> > We will also immediately require later versions of our libraries if older ones are considered insecure. Simple.
>
> High level software relie on a big bunch of lower level software, in a complex system with lots of libraries, tools and codes. All of the libraries and each of the coders are responsible for the global minimal hardware requirement to run the latest software.

Even so, that does not mean that we have the ability, means or want to test on all those old variations. This is especially true with GUI based software.

Craig