[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 95, Issue 10

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Feb 13 14:38:44 UTC 2016

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 02:38:25 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Newer versions of what, exactly? I have here a
> desktop computer I built in 2008. It runs
> recent software on Linux pretty much the same
> way it ran earlier versions of this software,
> with a slight adjustment for bulkier install
> size becasue of more features/addons.
>
> Alex

I have a desktop of the same or older vintage,
running Slackware 14.1 that I downloaded in
February 2014. That version receives frequent
security upgrades so I will probably download a
current file today.

For Scribus I have recent versions of:
1.4.6 that takes 12,940,770 bytes,
1.5.0 that takes 18,514,209 bytes,
1.5.1 that takes 18,455,161 byes.

The improvements in the 1.5.x series are well
worth the bother of installation,

I do note that with all open source programs that I use the
Apple Mac versions seem to get more installation
and runtime complaints than the MSWin and Linux
versions. Mac users just have to live with this
limitation. Linux users seem to complain most
about getting the latest versions from their
particular Linux distributions. I solve that one
by compiling from source. Different strokes for
different folks.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press