[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 95, Issue 10

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Feb 12 21:03:46 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 21:36:11 +0100
JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

ter.

> Versions numbers increase, provide new
> features, and when this is not cared carefully,
> they require new hardware, eat bigger natural
> ressources, induce more waste. That's why
> generaly speaking, reducing the lifespan of
> hardware is not ecological. (that sounds
> obvious, he ! but i try to answer your question)

I continue to use an off-brand PC
compatible desktop computer with two hard disk
drives. Every few  years I replace the oldest
drive by a new drive that is much bigger. This
forestalls one kind of hardware disaster. It is 64
bit and has three cpu chips. Since it has an easy
to open metal case I can also replace the power
supply if that ever fails. The company that made
it has since been absorbed so I have no support
other than myself.

I have both linux and Windows 7 installed. I
can't get Windows 7 to work with  my router. But
I do most of my work on Linux anyhow. Using
nothing but free software I don't really have to
worry about running out of memory space. The
latest and greatest version of Scribus 1.5.1
works fine. I update it every night. If that
ever fails me I have the compatible 1.5.0
version too.

I leave my computer running night and day. It
lasts longer that way. It is powered through an
UPS device so that brief outages or even spikes
over the line won't do it damage.
Running Linux when online I have thus far avoided
any malware attacks.

In short so long as the IBM PC design is still
supported I have few worries. If the whole thing
breaks I can buy another similar box somewhere.
And I have a backup machine in the basement.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press