[scribus] Opening a scribus file faster

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 25 22:35:42 UTC 2016

________________________________
From: Luya Tshimbalanga <luya at fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2016 3:14 PM
To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
Subject: Re: [scribus] Opening a scribus file faster

On 23/12/16 07:51 PM, William Bader wrote:

> ________________________________

Fedora has Media Writer written in Qt. The cold start runs smooth on
Wayland session.

> I wonder if you could compare this on Fedora 25 with a KDE or other DE
> without Wayland ?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> ---
>
> I have Fedora 23, and I am curious how Wayland works in Fedora 25 because I have a lot of X11 applications and Fedora 23 is near EOL.
>
> Luya -- did the slowness happen after upgrading to Fedora 25 or after updating to specific SVN revision?
Apparent that issue happens with linked images on scribus file on all
SVN revision. Opening sla files with embedded images load quicker.
> On Fedora 23, I think that can I select X or Wayland based desktops when I log in. Does Fedora 25 also give that option to let you check quickly if the issue is Wayland or Scribus?
Yes, Fedora 25 does. I opened the sla file with linked images and the
result is the same regardless the session.
> If the issue is Scribus, can you use svn bisect to locate the revision that causes the problem? http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-SVN-Bisect/bin/svn-bisect

$ svn-bisect after 21677
21677 is greater than the working directory maximum 21676!

using before command returns nothing

> It looks like Qt 5.7 will have an option to access Wayland directly. http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/06/13/new-compositor-api-qtwayland/ (New Compositor API for Qt Wayland) https://wayland.freedesktop.org/qt5.html (Qt 5 on Wayland) https://wiki.qt.io/QtWayland (What is QtWayland?)

The current build on the copr
repository(https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/luya/scribus-unstable/)
uses Qt 5.7. Scribus cold start load slower but become quick when
reopening. Qt 5.7 applications performs quite well in Wayland session

------

Hi Luya,

I use git more than svn. I think that the revision number with 'svn-bisect after' should be an existing revision that is known to be bad (i.e. has the problem of being slow).

If svn-bisect isn't working, I think that you can do the same with a binary search using 'svn co'. The bisect command just takes care of the paperwork.

>Scribus cold start load slower but become quick when reopening. Qt 5.7 applications performs quite well in Wayland session

That looks more like an issue with opening files than with the user interface.  Scribus and many other applications open a lot of files when they start. On a cold start, the operating system has to read all of those files from the disk. When you restart the application, if the operating system has kept the files in cache, the application will open much faster.

You can capture the file opens with an strace command like

  strace -e open scribus > scribus.log 2>&1

When I do that on Fedora 23 with Scribus from SVN 21652, 'grep open scribus.log | wc' shows 4775 open attempts, and 'grep '^open' scribus.log | grep -v ENOENT | wc -l' shows 3125 successful opens. That could be slow on a cold start if you don't have an SSD.

If you have an older version of Scribus that is faster on cold starts, you could check how many files it opens.

The command line below shows the most frequently accessed directories.

grep '^open' scribus.log | grep -v ENOENT | sed -e 's,^open(",,' -e 's,\(.*/\).*,\1,' | sort | uniq -c | sort -r | less

Here is my top 10.

    876 /u/william/.local/share/scribus/scrapbook/
    240 /usr/share/fonts/
    216 /lib64/
    210 /etc/fonts/conf.d/
    191 /usr/lib64/GraphicsMagick-1.3.25/modules-Q16/coders/
    135 /var/cache/fontconfig//
    118 /usr/local/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/16/
     92 /usr/local/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/22/
     89 /usr/lib64/osgPlugins-3.2.3/
     80 /usr/local/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/

Scribus scans /u/william/.local/share/scribus/scrapbook/main/ and /u/william/.local/share/scribus/scrapbook/tmp/ a lot of times.

Regards, William