[scribus] White versus transparent pixels question

Vladimir Savic vladimir.firefly.savic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 07:34:47 UTC 2016

Every color you want to print will add on top of another. If you print
yellow and lay down some blue on top of i, you'll end up with some shade of
green. You can do that as many times as you want and the result will be
always a step closer to a "rich" black. Normally, for acceptable
cost/efficiency ratio, we have CMYK (cyan+magenta+yellow+k) standard. Look
at Wikipedia for more information about it. You have hit the problem of
base color. It is simply assumed that underlying color is paper's white.
Everything is being build on top of it, quite literary.

Of course, you are not the first having an idea of printing on top of some
other color. Therefore, printers started using white pigment for making
special - white - color. Note the word Special here. We will return to that
soon. If you don't specify that you want old, timed, recycled, yellowish
paper, printers (both the people that operate printing presses and desktop
printers) will ASSUME you want it printed on plain white paper. If you
don't want that to happen, you should then go to a printing press operator
and handle your "special" paper to him. But, at that moment he makes one
more ASSUMPTION for you and that is that you want it to be printed using
CMYK method. Computer programs for prepress make those two assumptions for
you too. The background on your working canvas in Scribus is white -
non-printabe. And the colors you use are in CMYK.

What if you want to give printer your toothpaste, shoe polish or your
favourite perfume to print with that? It's possible, but you will not get
desired results with CMYK, of course. You have to define SPECIAL case. It's
the same with your white. In Scribus you should define specal color, called
Spot color, name it "White", and use it to fill objects with it. That's
already covered in detains in many other places. Part of it has been
documented in official documentation under Color Palettes.

What is also very important to you here is that it seems that white
background of an image is being treated in two ways:
1) Exactly as transparent, when put on canvas directly. There is no
distinction if your image has transparent background or not.
2) Removing other colors underneath it, when placed on top over some other
Scribus' item. Now there is a distinction. If your image contains
transparent pixels, underneath objects will appear where transparent. If it
were opaque, white background of your image will expose paper color at that
places.

In reality, white just exposes paper color.

Hope this helps...