[scribus] upgrading

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 06:07:07 UTC 2016

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. April 2016 um 14:37 Uhr
> Von: "David Burden" <davidgburden at outlook.com>
> An: "scribus at lists.scribus.net" <scribus at lists.scribus.net>
> Betreff: [scribus] upgrading
>
> I have scribus 1.4.5 how or should I uprade to 1.4.6 or wait for 1.5.1 and is it complicated as I worried about file loss / corruption etc

Hi David,

You can safely upgrade from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6, Just uninstall 1.4.5 and install 1.4.6 instead. The file format didn't change, so you can open and edit all of your previous SLA files, and this will remain true for every 1.4 release.

If you're a bit more adventurous, you can install 1.5.1 or later development candidates alongside an 1.4 version to use or test the advanced features (actually, the 1.5.x feature number almost doubles the one of 1.4.x already).

Files created with development candidates aren't backwards-compatible, though, but the developers will be making sure that files created by every development candidate can be opened by the next stable release 1.6.0. Also note that the status of development candidate as opposed to stable doesn't mean that development candidates are unstable in the sense that Scribus will crash and you'll lose your data. It rather means that not everything is in place and already works as we wish it should. In terms of stability, 1.5.1 is already rock-solid, and the upcoming 1.5.2 has even more and configurable safety mechanisms built-in.

HTH,

Christoph