[scribus] saving as EPS automatically

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:28:33 UTC 2016

> From: scribus.user at gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 07:24:31 -0500
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] saving as EPS automatically
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:56 AM, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
>
> > hi hw,

> >> Thank you very much!  I'll try it out.
> >>
> >> BTW, is it possible to run Scribus to do the conversion to EPS

> >> Not even with the '-g -nns' options?  It would be really nice if
> >> a GUI weren't required when it isn't used at all ...  Is there any
> >> way to do just a conversion of the *.sla file to eps without a GUI?
> >>
> >> Or could cups simply print *.sla files transparently like it can print,
> >> for example, pdf and eps?  That would be all that's needed for
> >> printing the labels.  If there was a filter cups could use to convert
> >> *.sla into eps ...
> >>

> > modifying scribus so that it can be run without X installed is
> > theoretically possible.
> > at least for what concerns scribus itself and Qt. i don't know if any of
> > the used library requires X (but i don't think so).
> >
> > i don't think that the team will ever have the resources for doing it, but
> > as it has happened in the past, they will accept well forged patches that
> > modify the code to enable (i would suggest: if possible step by step) an
> > X-less environment.
> >
> > an approach would be to create a main_*.cpp file that instantiates
> > QCoreApplication instead of QApplication...
> > and then work on it until things work correctly...
> >
> > lot of changes have already being contributed, to get scribus to work
> > headless, so it might now be easier to work on it (i made some very shy
> > tries a few years ago...)
> >
> > have fun!
> > a.l.e
>

> Related:
> https://www.simplicity.be/article/indesign-server-alternative-open-source-part1

If you are scripting the generation of PDF files, you might want to look at the export_to_pdf.py script at https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=238
Juraj recently updated it to allow the selection of sets of pages.
The Scribus -g option will allow Scribus to run without waiting for user interaction, but it currently still needs an X display. It might be possible to direct the X output to a VNC server.
Regards, William