[scribus] Patch submitted for Command Line Arguments to be passed to python script

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 01:29:35 UTC 2015

> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> From: gpittman at iglou.com
> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:23 -0400
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Patch submitted for Command Line Arguments to be passed to python script
>
> I wonder if someone could manage to write some documentation on how to
> use this new capability.
>
> It seems that entering -someargv value1 as parameters is not very
> helpful instructions.
>
> What is it that the script is expecting?
>
> Do scripts have to have this 'def main(argv)' structure in order to work?
>
> Not all of us are using this routinely. Python certainly doesn't require it.
>
> Greg
I posted a small example a while ago at http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=13311#c36071 (the python script is attached to the mantis page).
Berteh's patch lets you pass arbitrary flags and arguments to the python script.
For example, my example script inserts text into a text frame in an SLA file.
Instead of hard-coding the name of the text file in the script, you can pass it on the command line with "scribus -g -py storydeptharg.py --python-arg -storyfile sample.txt depthtemplate.sla" (I'm not sure about the final syntax that they settled on.)
The python script the sees an argv that contains "-storyfile" and "sample.txt".
The command line options are very useful for anyone who is trying to script Scribus from another program, perhaps to create documents or to export documents to PDF.
Without the command line patch, you have to hard-code the file names or you have to generate a customized script each time or you have to pass arguments through environment variables.
I think that the command line comes from sys.argv, so you might be able to use "def main():" and then look at sys.argv.
My example has
def main(argv):
if __name__ == '__main__':