[scribus] How to quickly highlight text/image objects on a certain part of a page

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Sep 8 12:53:52 UTC 2015

On 09/08/2015 07:50 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
>>> i wanted to say that the user experience is not that good.
>>
>> Unfortunately, one user's experience is quite often different from
>> another users experience.
>
> yes often you can say that, i agree.
>
> in this case, the user experience issue is that people who
> don't know about this specific feature can trigger it without knowing
> anything about it and they cannot understand why sometimes the items are
> selected and sometimes they are not.
>

> there are already a few such "shortcuts" in scribus and i don't have
> the feeling that we need more of them.
> i think that you agree that this is not one of the basic features
> everybody has to learn about when starting to work with scribus.
>
> don't get me wrong. it's a good request. the feature should be in
> scribus.
> i'm just not convinced that left to right and right to left mouse
> movements are the best way to trigger it.
>
> it's a very clever way to trigger it. but it reminds me more of the old
> school tricks for saving a few bits in memory rather than of a modern
> DTP package.
>

>>> so, IMO, greedy and not greedy selections (or give it any other
>>> name you see fit) are an interesting feature and i'd welcome a fast
>>> way to switch from
>>
>> What's the difference between a greedy selection and a non greedy
>> selection? Is there a link?
>

> i don't know if it's the correct name for it.
>
> by greedy i mean that it get's as much as it can (that is everything
> tat could be selected gets selected)
>
> the non greedy selection only keeps the items that are completely in
> the selection area.
>

> and now back to the way inkscape is doing it :-)
>
> you just press the alt-key while selecting and you have to make sure
> that the key is down when releasing the mouse.
>
> not bad at all.

The practical problems I have with selection are two:

The first is when you have an impossibility of selecting just the
objects you want with either a greedy or nongreedy method, for example,
you want most of the objects on a page, but not some that are in the
middle. Using the "rubber-band" method you cannot subsequently unselect
individual objects.

The second is when you use the alternative method, holding down Shift
and sequentially clicking. As you continue to click objects, you can
lose track of which ones you have clicked. What you see is an expanding
selection rectangle. It might help to have some visual indicator of
which objects are part of the selection.

Greg