[scribus] How to quickly highlight text/image objects on a certain part of a page

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Sep 8 11:50:05 UTC 2015

hi

> > i wanted to say that the user experience is not that good.
>
> Unfortunately, one user's experience is quite often different from
> another users experience.

yes often you can say that, i agree.

in this case, the user experience issue is that people who
don't know about this specific feature can trigger it without knowing
anything about it and they cannot understand why sometimes the items are
selected and sometimes they are not.

there are already a few such "shortcuts" in scribus and i don't have
the feeling that we need more of them.
i think that you agree that this is not one of the basic features
everybody has to learn about when starting to work with scribus.

don't get me wrong. it's a good request. the feature should be in
scribus.
i'm just not convinced that left to right and right to left mouse
movements are the best way to trigger it.

it's a very clever way to trigger it. but it reminds me more of the old
school tricks for saving a few bits in memory rather than of a modern
DTP package.

> > so, IMO, greedy and not greedy selections (or give it any other
> > name you see fit) are an interesting feature and i'd welcome a fast
> > way to switch from
>
> What's the difference between a greedy selection and a non greedy
> selection? Is there a link?

i don't know if it's the correct name for it.

by greedy i mean that it get's as much as it can (that is everything
tat could be selected gets selected)

the non greedy selection only keeps the items that are completely in
the selection area.

and now back to the way inkscape is doing it :-)

you just press the alt-key while selecting and you have to make sure
that the key is down when releasing the mouse.

not bad at all.

as jluc wrote, it might need a bit to get used to it.
it's not really a greedy selection but, most of the time, it will do
the job.
it's compatible with inkscape and it's very flexible.

in my eyes a good solution for scribus.

hope that helps
ciao
a.l.e