[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 91, Issue 30

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Oct 31 23:22:46 UTC 2015

On 10/31/2015 04:11 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> I can understand that this would work, but it's a black box solution.
> What does Acrobat do to accomplish this?

Most programs that create .pdf files specify the exact location of the
first character of the line, followed by the line itself, as a string.
Scribus, however, specifies the exact location of each character,
allowing the creator far more flexibility in character positioning, such
as kerning, or placing a character slightly above or below the line as
needed.  (As an example, the name of the typesetting program TEX should
have the middle character slightly lower than the other two.)  This, of
course, makes the file much larger and Adobe can easily save quite a bit
of space by removing this extra info unless whoever created the document
actually needs that type of control.