[scribus] Free Scribus and FLOSS resource on print production with free tools

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:43:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

> The major problem with SwatchBooker is
>
> a) that it's no longer being actively developed;
>
> b) it doesn't run on Windows, despite the availability of a (presumably untested) "Windows version";
>
> c) the Mac OS X version is only available via Homebrew.

The script for Scribus is still available though.

> Moreover, Pantone as colour reference is crap, and their physical colour fans, chips, whatever, are
> unreliable. It's a cleverly marketed franchise, which continues to hold the minds of designers captive,
> thanks to their abiltiy to sneak into design education via licensing contracts with commercial software
> vendors and thanks to the fact that design education lacks proper instructions in colour science.

Pantone is what people use and they will keep using it as long as this
is what the market chooses. Whether you want Scribus to alienate
itself from the market or not is up to you, of course.

> The Libre Graphics world has a much better alternative in its hand, namely the Open Colour Systems
> Collection (http://dtpstudio.de/downloads/OCSC_1_0.zip), which includes two colour palettes using the
> CIELAB and CIEHLC colour models. Colour fans using this model for CMYK print are availabale for a
> fraction of the costs of Pantone or any other vendor's references, and they're truly open:
> http://dtpstudio.de/cielab/shop.php

You know, I contacted them in the past and asked some hard questions
about some color science and technology related points they were
making, how they wanted this to penetrate the market, what kind of
standartization they had in mind etc. I never heard back from them. My
takeaway from that is that they want to make a change, but only have a
few vague ideas.

I would hesitate to call that an alternative, let alone a much better one.

Alex