[scribus] white borders around inserts.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Nov 11 00:20:12 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 04:22 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:37:54 -0500
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

>> Here is a wiki page I just made up, along with
>> a possible modification so that you might enter
>> 4 different values for the text distances.
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Setting_Text_Distances_from_a_Script
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>>

> Hmm!
> 1. Does this work on the inserted text or the
> text around the insert?

This works on how much the text in a frame fills its own frame.

> 2. If the latter can I modify this script to
> handle inserted graphics text frames as well as
> inserted text frames?

This won't work on image frames. In that case, I would recommend using
Text Flows Around Frame, flowing around the contour line, then edit the
contour line. Both of these can be found in the Shape tab of Properties.
Note that you can increase the contour line by a percentage or absolute
distance, and the amount of each of these is editable.

> In my just completed project I had mostly text
> inserts. In my current one I have almost graphic
> inserts (screenshots etc.),

Scripting this for image frames would be a lot of work. If you look at
InfoBox.py that comes with Scribus, it will import an image to a frame
set in a column. Once you tell it where you want the frame in the column
(Y-Pos), it then calculates the necessary height of the frame for the
column width, so that when you then setScaleImageToFrame(), the frame is
the right size.

To try to do what you're asking, you would then need to adjust the scale
with setImageScale(), then adjust the X-Pos and Y-Pos of the image in
the frame. All of this requires judgements and calculations. If you
shrink by a percentage of height and width, the horizontal space around
the image is different than vertically. If you make it a set distance
all around, then you change the relative X and Y scales. Although you
can set TextFlows from a script and even set the flow around a contour
line, there is no way to adjust the contour line from a script.

Comparing this with doing it manually in Properties, it's not clear to
me it's worth the scripting work.

Greg