[scribus] for assistance

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Nov 10 22:40:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:31:45 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 08:54 AM, LORN MACINTYRE wrote:
> > I requiire assistance with my Scribus
> > programmes, based on the following questions:
> > I set a work of fiction in Scribus 1.3.3.,
> > then exported it as a PDF.  I want to go back
> > to the original Word document which I
> > imported into Scribus in the first instance,
> > but find that I cannot do this via the PDF.
> > Can I therefore access a programme which will
> > allow me to unlock the PDF files and make the
> > corrections that way? Secondly, can I import
> > files from Scribus 1.3.3. into the improved
> > Scribus 1.4.4? Greetings from St Andrews,
> > Scotland Dr Lorn Macintyre
>

> I think your best option is to use 1.4.5, the
> current stable, to edit the Scribus document.
> You can always open files from earlier
> versions. In 1.5.0 and onward, there is an
> ability to import PDFs into Scribus, but this
> isn't so useful for text, since the PDF pages
> are imported vector graphics, not the original
> elements that made up the Scribus file.
>
> Greg
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Just imported a one-page pdf into Scribus for
corrections, then included that page into the main
run.

My technique is to burst the current pdf file
into individual pages using the pdftk program,
edit one or more pages, and then reassemble the
pages into a new document.
Here is my reassemble script (for Linux of
course).

gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4
-sOutputFile=segmenta.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f
p*.pdf

Newer versions of Scribus (1.5.0 and 1.5.1) don't
seem to bog down as much on long documents then
earlier versions. So i suppose I could do
corrections on the entire pdf document. But users
of 1,4,5 and earlier may find bursting and then
reassembling a useful technique.

I am surprised by the number of users who are
still using 1.3.3 versions. Upgrading to 1.4.x is
not that difficult and pays dividends.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press