[scribus] white borders around inserts.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Nov 8 14:44:09 UTC 2015

On 11/08/2015 09:09 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> When you create an insert in a page of text it
> takes extra steps to create a border of white
> space around the insert. A graphic frame is the
> easiest. Put the graphic on a layer above the
> text. On the same layer as the insert draw a
> graphic frame over the insert, slightly
> larger than the insert. under the properties of
> this frame select a Color>Fill of white. Under
> the Shape property select something other than
> "Disabled" Then using Item>Level lower this extra
> frame one level (not layer but level.)
>
> If the insert is text in nature and has a grey
> background things get more complicated. You need
> two spacings, one around the inserted text and
> one around the gray background This takes three
> items, the text item, a slightly larger item
> colored grey and then the white item.
>
> If there is a simpler method I hope someone can
> suggest it.

You're using what I would call the backup plan, adding more frames.
You can use Text Distances to create a space around text inside a frame.
For space around a frame of whatever kind, Text Flows Around Frame does
this, using the contour line which you edit from the Shape tab.

I'm not sure about editing a contour line, but setting Text Flows is
scriptable. I have also scripted settings for Text Distances, where you
might use set values or editable defaults. I've also scripted your
method, of adding a frame on top and then setting Text Flows.

The biggest aggravation with Text Distances is how crammed together
things are in Properties.

Greg