[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 91, Issue 30

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 7 16:11:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 08:16:35 -0700
Johannes Deutch <zelbstzz at gmail.com> wrote:

> For Windows, the following thread, "How to
> convert PDF File into smaller size" will give
> you a couple of leads:
>
> http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/home-office-and-productivity/2442-how-to-convert-pdf-file-into-smaller-size.html#post16978
>
> Dan
>
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Murray Strome
> <wmstrome at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Re:  Pdf file size    Original Message from
> > John Beardmore I seem to recall somebody
> > saying that you could run Scribus .pdf files
> > through some tool or other, which made them a
> > lot smaller without noticeable loss of
> > quality. Can anybody remember which tool this
> > is ?  I have access to Linux boxes too if
> > needs be.

For book covers, posters etc., if all text is
converted to outlines it may reduce the file size.
I did a simple "Hello world" in a text frame.
I exported it as a pdf X/1-a file.
The pdf file was 268929 bytes.

Then I converted the string to outlines.
The pdf file was 158230 bytes.

Multiple fonts would exaggerate the difference
and lots of text in one font would go the other
way.

Food for thought?
--
John Culleton