[scribus] Reach Text/Document Attributes through Scripter

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue May 19 19:55:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 01:42:04 +0200
Goude Vincent <vincent.goude at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to build customize the TOC using the
> same Attributes used by Scribus  1.4.x, by
> exemple: -Generate an Index ordered
> alphabeticaly -Do some simple font changed
> depending on Attribute parameters I thought
> that scripter interface would be an easy way
> but I can't find the api allowing to read a
> custom attribute for an Item. Any help?

For indexing even when TeX is not in play for the
basic layout I use the combination of pdftex,
eplain.tex (defines the indexing commands)
and makeindex. Currently I am typesetting a book
for a client. The layout is being done in
Context, a TeX variant. But for the index I have
derived a separate text file, converted the page
breaks to the appropriate pdftex command
(\vfil\eject) and embedded the appropriate
indexing commands om the text file as specified in
the eplain.tex manual. I have been doing indexing
this way since 1996 for money.

If TeX makes you gag then you may want to use my
Tcl/Tk program called Tyro. It also accesses the
makeindex program but you enter the index items
and page numbers via a GUI screen. If interested
and you have Tcl/Tk on your computer write me and
I can attach the program and the manual to my
response. Neither is lengthy. Makeindex is in any
TeX distro.

Scripting in Scribus is limited to Python which
IMO is a pity. If Tcl/Tk or any arbitrary C
language program were usable I could come
up with many new ideas. IMO Python belongs in a
Zoo dedicated to such reptiles. I have written
two python scripts for book cover design but no
one has deigned to include them in the
distribution.

--
John Culleton