[scribus] 'Tête-Bèche', 'Upside-down' or 'reversible' book pages

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon May 11 14:37:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, 11 May 2015 14:44:49 +0200
Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

> > With Slackware plus my own downloads I have
> > pdftotext, pdftk, the Gvim editor, Gimp,
> > Inkscape the huge Texlive suite and many
> > others. I think I would attack the OP's quest
> > with bursting the document to individual
> > pages using pdftk, sorting them in reverse
> > order, and write a script to rotate them 180
> > and so on.
> >

> Bursting seems overkill, I'd start with
> jPdfTweak (it has a GUI at least).

IMO the gui, like home cooking, is much
overrated. but I will look up PDFTweak.

If you  burst a file using pdftk the individual
pages don't lose any quality. For my current
client I burst his pdf file, imported each page
into Gimp at 300 dpi, trimmed the image to
eliminate the headers and footers, converted the
blue text to grayscale, used the curve function
to make the text even darker and saved the result
as a pdf again. Then I imported each such page
into a Context TeX file which built the new
running heads. The resulting quality was OK.

It takes longer to describe it than to do each
page.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press