[scribus] import xml to 1.5.0

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Mar 3 22:37:49 UTC 2015

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 03. März 2015 um 17:38 Uhr
> Von: "John Culleton" <John at wexfordpress.com>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] import xml to 1.5.0
>
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:10:39 -0500
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/03/2015 08:18 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried importing a Libre office odt file but
> > > 1.5.0 said it was in the wrong format. I tried
> > > both opening the file in Scribus and
> > > importing it as text.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > save as text from LO.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > ___
> > Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> > Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> > See also:
> > http://wiki.scribus.net
> > http://forums.scribus.net

> > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> > Hosting http://www.doteasy.com
>
> I've done that. but much of the layout gets
> lost. And things like table of contents gets
> distorted.  If this were just a text file, but it
> isn't.
>
> So is the odt import feature not workable? If so
> please just say so. How about xml? docx? I am
> already pursuing the text route from text files
> extracted from a pdf file. But progress is very
> slow.
>
> Just FYI I broke the pdf file apart into one-page
> segments using pdftk and converted each of those
> to individual text files. Wrote a cobol program
> just to reduce the 200 plus pdf pages to text.
> Then I am importing these text pages into Scribus
> 1.5.0 and formatting those pages by hand. I tried
> pasting the individual pdf pages directly into
> Scribus 1.5.0 as graphics but the reproduction was
> lousy.
>
> This is not my first rodeo. But I am really
> stymied by this project.
>
> The document has lots of embedded and
> half-way embedded sidebars and a
> recurrent graphic file that neither I nor the
> author has a copy of.
>
> And I have to do a cover (no problem there) and
> an index.
>
> Thanks for your patience and help.

Regarding ODT, do you know which programme saved the file? In my experience only ODT files saved by LO and AOO can be imported correctly. Also, not everything in ODT is being supported, essentially only formatted text and paragraph styles.

If you want to use plain text, save the ODT file as plain text in LO.

HTH,

Christoph