[scribus] Default font for Story editor.

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Mon Jun 29 05:11:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 17:01:43 -0400
John Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Scribus 1.4.6 and other Scribuses tend to default
> to the first available font in alphabetic order.
> In my case this is aGaramond italic. I can
> override this in the Style editor, but is there
> a way to define my default font globally, i.e.
> always there when I fire up a new session?
>
> And a related question: how do I eliminate the
> many unneeded fonts and have that deletion last
> through multiple recompiles? All those Middle
> Eastern and Indian etc. fonts are of interest to
> some users but I work exclusively in English. I
> am thinking of a solution where Scribus looks in
> in a directory other than /usr/safe/fonts.
> Scrolling through hundreds of fonts over and over
> when is no fun.

Sometimes we make mistakes, like install Docbook, and end up getting
2000+ unwanted fonts being recognized by Scribus.

After you have unticked the first hundred and realize that you have
another two hours to go, you ask, is there a better way?

SED to the rescue!

Go to your .scribus directory and run;

sed 's/<Font\ Use="1"/<Font\ Use="0"/'scribus150.rc > new_rc_file
and then (after inspection of new_rc_file) move the new_rc_file to
scribus150.rc

Now you problem has been changed to going through fonts and selecting
maybe the 20 or 30 you want to use.

HTH

Owen