[scribus] Two fonts, one line of text, in story editor.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Jun 20 17:49:27 UTC 2015

On 06/20/2015 12:38 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> I need to create a line of text in two different
> fonts, part of it in regular text and part of it
> in italics. The story Editor is very stubborn
> about this. After I key the part in Adobe
> Garamond italics when I change the font type to
> Adobe Garamond Regular and type some more it
> still uses the previous font.
>
> Also it wants to put everything in 12 point type
> even if I change to 9 points.
>
> I could use styles but how do I change styles in
> the middle of a line?
>
> and key
> some more it I keeps reverting the

Some say "don't use Story Editor at all".
I think Story Editor can be useful at times.
Here are some pointers:

1. Use Character styles when you want some part of a paragraph to be in
some alternative font. Set your paragraph style, then highlight some
text in the middle and either apply features or a character style.

2. You can update the frame and still have Story Editor open. Use Ctrl+U
for the keyboard shortcut. Ctrl+W will update and exit Story Editor.

3. You might apply your Paragraph Style in Story Editor, then go to Edit
Contents mode in the main window to apply changes, again by highlighting
text first.

I have never seen an inability to change font size. If you simply have
the cursor on some line and change a font parameter, nothing happens
unless you type more text. For existing text, you have to highlight it
to change some feature. Keep in mind that some features are controlled
by the paragraph style, for example line spacing. Line spacing is not a
feature of a character style.

Greg