[scribus] Python scripts

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jul 29 02:00:35 UTC 2015

On 07/27/2015 07:35 PM, Kunda Loves Scribus wrote:

>>> Back to the topic of Python Scripts, I came across this repo on Github:
>>> https://github.com/thresherdj/robo-scribus
>>> "An python-based interface to drive Scribus scripts to drive automated
>>> document processes."
>>> I haven't tested it yet. It uses Tkinter which may cause a problem for
>> some
>>

>> There are certain things that Tkinter can do, such as have a dialog
>> which makes a number of simultaneous selections.
>>
>> The down side is that the syntax for Tkinter is more obtuse than Python
>> by itself, so I think what we might consider advanced Python. The
>> CalendarWizard is an example, and while the dialog is nice, the
>> structure of the script shows the complexity that Tkinter throws in there.
>>
>> Greg
>

> Greg, thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate what "so I think what we
> might consider advanced Python" means? Are you speaking about using an
> alternate to tkinter ?

Maybe I wasn't clear, but what I meant was that using Tkinter with
Python adds another layer of command and structure learning to set up
things like dialogs.

Even though the built-in valueDialog() in Scribus looks like you can
only set one value at a time, you can actually set several at a time by
separating them with white space and then using the Python split function.

Let's say you pull in from valueDialog an entry like '25    blue
cherry' to a variable three_values...

single_value = three_values.split()

single_value[0] will be 25
single_value[1] will be blue
single_value[2] will be cherry

Just like any valueDialog, you can create a default collection of values
if you wish.

Greg