[scribus] Basic question

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 00:26:26 UTC 2015

> From: tbw at tomwinans.me
> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:41:05 -0600
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: [scribus] Basic question
>
> Relative to my request below… my hope is to be able to invoke scribus from the command line without launching the application.. It appears that the current 1.5.x capabilities with the -py switch depend upon starting the application.
>
> Thank you,
> Tom
>
> Tom Winans
> tbw at tomwinans.me <mailto:tbw at tomwinans.me>
> http://tomwinans.info <http://tomwinans.info/>

In Scribus 1.5 and higher, -py runs a script on startup and -g runs without a gui.
You can run a command like
scribus -g -py yourscript.py yourdocument.sla
At least on Linux, Scribus will paint the screen for a second, but it will run the script and exit on its own without any user interaction.
Dialogs that would ask questions when the gui is enabled will take a reasonable default (usually the option to continue with the operation), and warning messages that would appear in a dialog are written to the console instead.

Regards,William