[scribus] Printing service problem with Scribus

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Jan 13 10:13:12 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Now for the first time I had a problem with a PDF made by Scribus, and I
am not sure if the problem really is mine.

I had a flyer and a poster to be printed by an online printing service.
I have known them for about 2 years now, and up to now I had only good
results there, no problem at all with relation to Scribus.

Now on the flyer, there were Umlauts and special letters from other
languages defect, French C-cedile, Spanish Nje and "f " instead of
"...". This happened at many places in the documents, but not
everywhere. There is only one font used, but different weight and
colors, but I can see no coincidence here. The same font weight and
color is good on the poster, but defect on the flyer. The same font with
different color and weight produces defect and normal letters on the flyer.

The first guy I had on the phone yesterday told me this would happen
sometimes when converting the document for the workflow. Although
preview was good, there could still be a problem with the RIP.

Today, another guy said "oh, Scribus, that's typical, we have much
trouble like this with Scribus PDFs. Better try another program".

His other advice was to convert all fonts into paths.

The documents were the same like last year, only some texts changed and
a slightly different layout, some different colors. Same preprint setup,
PDF version etc. and same version of Scribus on the same machine.

What do you think about it? Couldn't it simply be an upload problem?

At least I would like to go sure in future, as I will certainly stay
with Scribus. So thanks for any input!

Regards
Rolf