[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 82, Issue 12

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Jan 10 13:46:21 UTC 2015

On 01/10/2015 07:30 AM, Gimp-Werkstatt wrote:

> Am 10.01.2015 um 13:00 schrieb scribus-request at lists.scribus.net:
>> On 01/08/2015 02:14 PM, Gimp-Werkstatt wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I First apologies for my bad English, and hope you understand my
>>> stammering.
>>>
>>> I do have a little problem with Scribus inserting links to a text.
>>>
>>> The members of Gimp-Werkstatt write a little newsletter. I get the text,
>>> screen shots and photos that I arrange with Scribus. Quite often the
>>> authors send a text with links that point to a page within our forum.
>>>
>>> So until now my work flow was:
>>> adding the link within the rest of the text and colour it
>>> orange/underline so it looks like a link
>>> than I open a little text field (Icon with two feet) and add the Link to
>>> the properties.
>>>
>>> When I want to export to PDF Scribus marks it as a mistake, because the
>>> box with the link is empty.
>>>

>>> Well, this work flow is not really good, because it always means a some
>>> fiddly work moving the link boxes, when I add some text to the text box
>>> or change some text.
>>>
>>> I have also tried to insert the link text to the link box, but when I
>>> export the work to PDF, the PDF doesn't show the link text.
>>>
>>> Perhaps - at least I hope so - somebody knows a better an easier way of
>>> working with links within a flowing text.
>>>
>> What you need to do after placing the link frame, is to right-click on
>> it, then select PDF Options > Annotation Properties. From the dialog
>> that pops up, pick the option External Web Link, then enter the web
>> address that you wish to link to. One advantage of this is that the text
>> on the page can be something other than the actual link.
>>
>> It's rather fiddly, and it would be great if it were easier. In the
>> past, Adobe Reader used to find text that looked like a web address and
>> automatically make it a link, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.
>> The other issue is that not everyone may be using Adobe Reader. Chrome
>> has its own PDF reader, and I haven't had a chance to see what it does
>> with these situations.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Hi Greg
>
> thanks for your replies. I knew, I didn't explain it right ;) so I made
> an example.
>
> Here you find the PDF:
> http://eleanora.gimp-werkstatt-forum.de/gimp-stuff/setting_a_link.pdf
>
> and here you find the sla (gz)
> http://eleanora.gimp-werkstatt-forum.de/gimp-stuff/setting-a-link.gz

All I can say is that the nature of these is that they are blank in the
PDF, but even so, you do see the link pop up as you hover. The method I
use is to use the text in the text frame as the visible part, using a
character style to alter its appearance to look like something you
should click. You then overlay the linking frame with its link only.
Don't bother to put text in it because it won't show.

If there is any advantage to this, you don't have to bother with text
flow around the frame, and don't have to create a gap of words in the
underlying text. You can make the clicking zone as big or as small as
you want.

Greg