[scribus] massive slowdown - typing int text boxes

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Sat Feb 7 17:01:55 UTC 2015

Le 07/02/2015 17:02, Thorsten Rochelmeyer a écrit :
> latest 1.5.0 (scribus trunk) from ubuntu repository on a kubuntu machine
> (14.04, KDE desktop)
>
> I experience a massive slowdown when typing into text-boxes on a page
> with a couple of images (18 to be precise) on it. One letter every 2 to
> 3 seconds. I don't think i had that problem before, but i don't use
> scribus that often at the moment. The computer i use can not be
> considered a racing horse, but it usually works for me.
>
> Quite sure that it is a memory problem, because the problem is not there
> with a newly created document and no images.

I sometime have very bad slowdown issues on a powerfull machine with 16Go memory.
Maybe not as bad as yours but sometime one letter a second.

I have sometime had the feeling that i could improve this
in the following ways :

- only use ONE layer. A second layer is not worth the induced slowdown
(thats http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12825)

- use the very latest video drivers for your graphic card.
   it's worth carefully searching on your graphic card internet site
   whether they provide recent drivers for linux, and install them

   My card is an Intel ivybridge, I used https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

- only use linked text frame when you really need them

It still remains very strange that such simple operation
as typing one letter takes so much time sometime.
JL